by Kate Nixon
In February of 2021, the National Arts & Crafts Conference & Shows went virtual for one month, offering live Zoom discussion groups, seminars, featured videos, virtual tours, and demonstrations – and now “Arts & Crafts In August” continues that same format this week with 13 new Zoom discussion groups, seminars, a demonstration and access to the library of recorded sessions from February’s virtual conference.
Starting August 1st, special Zoom sessions and videos will be made available for those with “Arts & Crafts In August” participant passes throughout the week, offering a wide range of topics from art pottery to furniture to metalware to home design. Below is a categorized list of live sessions and scheduled seminars.
All times listed are Eastern time zone.
- “The Do’s and Don’ts of Collecting Prints and Paintings” with Marc Williams – Thursday, August 5th at 3 PM (Zoom)
- “Woodblock printing Demo” and “Producing Notecards” by Yoshiko Yamamoto (pre-recorded)
- “Shopping for Arts & Crafts Wallpaper, 1907 – 1910” by Bo Sullivan – Friday, August 6th at 1 PM (Zoom)
- “Frances Gearhart: Sister, Teacher, Artist” by Susan Futterman – Saturday, August 7th (pre-recorded)
- “Collecting American Art Pottery” with Jim Messineo – Tuesday, August 3rd at 1 PM (Zoom)
- “Crossing the Line: When Art Pottery Becomes Arts & Crafts Pottery” by Ulysses Dietz – Tuesday, August 3rd (pre-recorded)
- “Collecting Rookwood” with Riley Humler – Thursday, August 5th at 1 PM (Zoom)
- “Virtual Art Studio Tour, Art Techniques & Processes” with Julie Leidel – Tuesday, August 3rd at 3 PM (Zoom)
- “Finishing Touches: Hand-painted Friezes and Wall Ornament for Arts & Crafts Homes” with CJ Hurley and Barbara Pierce – Thursday, August 5th at 4:30 PM (Zoom)
- “Coffee With a Craftsman” with Brian Brace – Sunday, August 8th at 10 AM (Facebook)
- “The Hidden Corners of the Gamble House” with Ted Bosley and Jennifer Trotoux – Sunday, August 1st (pre-recorded)
- “Victorian vs. Arts & Crafts” and “The Stickley Difference” with Amanda Clifford – Monday, August 2nd (pre-recorded)
- “Elements of Design: Identifying Furniture Without a Shopmark” with David Rudd – Monday, August 2nd at 3 PM (Zoom)
History of Arts and Crafts
- “1901: The Year that Set the Arts & Crafts Movement into Action” by Bruce Johnson – Sunday, August 1st (pre-recorded)
- “Exploring Great Britain: My Favorite Places” with Elaine Ellis of Arts & Crafts Tours – Sunday, August 1st at 3 PM (Zoom)
- “The Hauberg Estate: An Arts & Crafts Gem” – Tuesday, August 3rd (pre-recorded)
- “Historic Site Updates” with Vonda Givens and David Rudd – Wednesday, August 4th at 1 PM (Zoom)
- “From Mid-Century to Arts & Crafts: A Tour of Ray and Ula’s House” with Ray Stubblebine and Ula Ilnytzky
- “Not a Bulb Will Be Seen: The Evolution of Arts & Crafts Lighting” by David Kornacki – Thursday, August 5th (pre-recorded)
- “My Favorite Arts & Crafts Reference Books” by Peter Copeland – Monday, August 2nd at 1 PM (Zoom)
- “All That’s Fit To Talk About Printing” with Andre Chaves – Friday, August 6th at 3 PM (Zoom)
- “Don’t Touch It! Caring for your Arts & Crafts Metalware” with Bryan Mead – Saturday, August 7th at 1 PM (Zoom)
- “Live from the Roycroft Museum: The Stories Behind the Collection” with Roycroft curators Amizetta Haj, Amanda Falkowski, and Alan Nowicki – Wednesday, August 4th at 1 PM (Zoom)
- “The Art & Craft of Hubbard’s Roycroft” by Alan Nowicki (pre-recorded)
- Film Discussion – “Elbert Hubbard: An American Original” with Robert Rust – Saturday, August 7th at 3 PM (Zoom)
Those who are interested in purchasing participant passes for “Arts & Crafts In August” can click here to select a 1-person or 2-person pass.
For more information on participating in Arts and Crafts In August, please visit arts-craftsconference.com