Stickley and Brandt
Year: 1891 - 1917
Notes: Charles Stickley, a younger brother of Gustav Stickley, for a brief time manufactured a line of Arts & Crafts furniture. Some was marked with his script signature. Other pieces were signed with a decal reading "Stickley and Brandt", a reference to his uncle, who was also his business partner. Stickley-Brandt’s retail store opened in 1896, and did well until World War One. The retail store remained open until 1928, but the furniture factory closed in 1917. Towards the end of the factory’s life, the craftsmen there did try to capitalize on the Mission Style, bringing out their own version of older brother Gustave’s vision in 1909, but it was too late, as the demand for the massive oak pieces was in decline, finished off by the war and changing tastes. After the furniture company’s bankruptcy, Charles left the industry, but remained in Binghamton until his death in 1927.